I hope everyone in the New York area is enjoying this crazy weather. Can you believe it’s 60 in December?
Chocolate Macaroon Bars are a perfect December treat. I’m going to enjoy my winter dessert and this lovely springtime weather.
All I’ve been bothering Amir about is I want go ice skating. It’s turned way to warm for that. That’s fine with me…….until these chocolate macaroon bars are gone. I have a feeling that’s going to be sooner rather than later.
Soooo what are these chocolate macaroon bars all about? They are sweet and oh yes, very easy to make. There’s a thick chocolate layer on top and wafer crust on the bottom.* Smooshed in between is coconut and almonds held together by sweetened condensed milk. Can you go wrong with any of that? I didn’t think so.
Yes, these are sweet and thick. It’s holiday season though. That means you can overindulge in everything, right?
*My crust doesn’t look as chocolaty as it could be. I used half chocolate wafers and have vanilla wafers. It tasted mad good so don’t be afraid to mix it up
- 2 cups chocolate/vanilla wafer crumbs
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper and heat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, powdered sugar and butter.
- Press evenly into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, coconut and almonds.
- Spread evenly over crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- While cake is cooling, melt chocolate chips and heavy cream in microwave. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth.
- Drizzle over top of cake.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home