We’re keeping it simple right now. You will love these chocolate cupcakes with chocolate sauce. Perfect for all you chocoholics. If you aren’t a chocoholic, I forgive you. That’s just more for meeeeeeeeeee.
This is a chocolate cupcake that is almost like a chocolate muffin. The only reason I slightly compare them to a muffin is because they are dense. Actually, I’m not sure if I should call them a cupcake or a muffin. We’ll stick to cupcake since I poured some chocolate sauce over the top. At the end of the day let’s not be too picky over what we call them. These cupcakes/muffins are a little piece of dense, chewy chocolate heaven.
You know what I really love? The diversity of toppings. The chocolate sauce added some sweetness and we pretended we were eating fancy little chocolate lava cakes. Later, I took out some peanut butter buttercream frosting and threw it on top.
Feeling extra decadent? Throw some chocolate sauce on the cupcakes, add some peanut butter buttercream, top off with more chocolate sauce.
I’m sure raspberry frosting will be killer as well. I don’t think I’ve made raspberry frosting before. Sounds like something I got to try now.
Do you have any favorite toppings on cupcakes? Share with me your favorite flavors to eat with chocolate!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in dry ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared liners. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a glass or heat-proof bowl over simmering water.
- Whisk to combine, then add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking thoroughly after each addition until pouring consistency is reached.
- Drizzle on top of cupcakes.